Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Anything's possible if you believe!


On May 20, 2008 I suffered a stroke affecting my left side. I had difficulty walking and needed a cane to get around. My speech was also affected which was frustrating when trying to communicate.

My children, John and Jen were my biggest supporters in recovery. They instilled in me the belief that I could regain all my mobility and surpass the difficult times.

John and I discussed goals and we both came to the decision that we’d all enter the 5k marathon on May 10, 2009 – a year after my stroke. Each day he would train with me. As the days and weeks went by I grew stronger and the cane was no longer needed. * poof, gone *

We started slow, running a mile and progressively increasing each day until we reached 5 miles. We also did weight training 3 times a week. I was exhausted after each session but felt exhilarated when I finished.

Then the day came when Jen and John challenged me to take the ‘CN Tower Stair Climbing Challenge – all 1,776 steps.’ I was game and decided to take them up on their challenge. So on April 16, 2009 we set out to the CN Tower and accomplished our goal. We all reached the top of the Tower. I must admit that it was hard but, boy what a rush when I climbed the last set of stairs and saw my children standing front and centre cheering me on – a moment I’ll never forget.

John and I continued to workout and train for the marathon. One Saturday, Jen and her friend, Tara joined us and what a great time we had!

Well, the marathon was a SUCCESS! I ran beside my husband and children. I DID IT! I ran my first marathon. Yippieeeee! I never thought I’d be able to walk again never mind run a marathon.

I learned a lot from my children!

“Don’t find reasons why you can’t succeed – find reasons why you can.” And, God bless them – I did!

Anything’s possible if you believe. Never give up just take it one step at a time and watch the miracle happen!

The video below is our playful workout together all in good fun ~
John is portrayed as a tyrant in this video but, in actual fact, he was always gentle, supportive, and very protective of me. He was my mentor and inspiration.




It's Crunch Time

Life is beautiful. Live each day to the fullest!

Love and hugssss
Susan xo
@-}--

4 comments:

  1. Susan, that is a wonderful story of strength and determination. Congratulations on the goals reached so far and many more to come.
    I saw your comment about dusting off your camera, that would be great I would love to see your photos.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always better to get the story from those that live it. As I said before, I am very proud of you and how far you have come.

    Anne ^i^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan, thanks for sharing this story. It really tells me never to give up. Sometimes we can achieve more than we expect.
    And thanks for visiting me as well. Btw, I love your blog title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hopped over here from SquirrelQueen's blog, and I have to say your story and recovery are absolutely amazing and inspiring. :) Your story really does prove that anyone can take on anything, and succeed!! Congrats to you for all you've been through and accomplished, and for your wonderful children to be there for every step of the way. :)

    -- Sami

    ReplyDelete